Some days are tougher than others. My denial about MS carried me 3500 miles to Palmyra, NY. I started getting weaker and unable to climb hills. By Selkirk Shores State Park, I had about half my usual strength. We camped in a torrential storm with lightning and thunder which dampened our moods a bit. There were lakes several inches deep in most of the camp spots. People were yelling "Ahoy" to each other the next morning. The kids' tent had sprung a leak in the rain fly. Their gear and sleeping bags were pretty wet. Dan and I were very proud of the children because they problem solved by putting their books and things that had to stay dry in the legs of their rain pants, and stuffing a raincoat between the outside of the tent and the rainfly to slow down the leak. The campground had a recreation room with ping pong and board games. The kids hustled over there in the rain, and were able to dry out and have some fun while Dan and I packed up the tents.
It continued raining through the morning. We stopped for lunch in Pulaski, NY. A lady and her cousin saw the bikes in town and later saw us (me)struggling up the hills as they were driving home. Carol told her cousin Jeannie, and her husband Charlie: "If they ride past the house, I am going to ask them to come in and get dried off." That's exactly what she did, and we accepted her kind offer. Carol and Charlie were angels in human form. They fed us and took care of us. Charlie even drove me to the hospital 40 miles away and waited in his truck for five hours while I got seen in the ER for an infusion of Solumedrol to shut down the MS exacerbation. The doc wanted me to stay in the hospital for three days, but I asked him not to do that because we are getting close to the end of the trip, and I didn't want to lose three days. Meanwhile, back at Carol and Charlie's house, she fed the children and got them into bed and waited up until midnight to make sure Dan and I got dinner also. Carol and Charlie's daughter Kim was there with her children about Gus and Sonia's age, so it was nice for the kids to get a break from the stress and play for awhile.
The next day I had a return of my strength, but it only lasted 24 hours. We have been making 20-35 miles, instead of the usual 45-65 miles per day. We are trying to get to Ticonderoga, NY, two days from here, where there is another hospital, and I will have to layover there two days.
It breaks my heart that I will not be able to ride to Acadia National Park, but if we can get to Portland, ME, perhaps we can rent a van and go explore Acadia, and then ship the bikes out from Bangor, then back to Portland on Aug 21st and fly to Portland, Oregon on the 22nd as planned. Uncertainty is hard for a control freak like me, but I'm trying to make the best of what the day brings me.
Thanks for all your love and encouragement, Alison